Indian e-Visa requirements for Portuguese citizens
More than 54,000 Portuguese citizens visit India each year to experience tradition and culture, sightseeing, relative visit or business trips. Portugal is one of 169 countries in which citizens can apply for an India e-Visa, enabling them to travel more easily to India.
1. Types of Indian e-Visa for Portuguese citizens
There are 4 common types of e-Visa that Portuguese can obtain, including:
- e-Tourist Visa: used when you want to make a casual trip to India for sightseeing, pilgrimage or relaxation. With this type of Visa, you will be able to stay in India for 30 days from the date of arrival. e-Visa for tourists is a single-entry kind and cannot be exchanged or converted.
- e-Business Visa: used when you have a business plan in India. With this type, you will have an allowance to stay in India for a total of 365 days from the date of your first arrival with multiple-entry and each time shall not exceed 180 days.
- e-Conference Visa: used when you need to participate in a conference hosted inside India territory. When applying this type, you will be able to stay in India for 30 days from the date of entry with single-entry.
- e-Medical Visa: used when you need to use medical treatment service in India. The validity is 60 days from the date of arrival with triple-entry.
2. Apply for an Indian e-Visa from Portugal
Applying for an India e-Visa online is simple for Portugal passport holders and you are not necessary to go to an Indian embassy or consulate by using an online application process, making it easier and more affordable to go to India.
To apply Indian Visa from Portugal, first you need to provide these documents as below:
- A legal Portuguese passport with at least 6 months of validity and 1 blank page for markings, a scanned copy of biographical pages of your Visa and one passport-sized photograph with white background and clear face.
- Proof of accommodation, invitation letter, travel itinerary, return tickets: depending on your situation, you need to provide corresponding documents.
- Valid email address to receive your e-Visa.
- COVID-19 document: in some cases, you will have to provide your personal COVID-19 vaccination records. In addition, you can add a COVID-19 insurance (optional) for increasing your chance of getting approved as well as keeping your benefit when traveling abroad.
In addition, you must submit your full name, date of birth, address and contact information, passport information, and nationality to completely complete the e-Visa application form for India.
The e-Visa will be provided via email if accepted, thus you must verify your email addresses during the application process. To enter India, you must print a copy of your e-Visa and keep it with them throughout their stay.
Electronic visas that have been approved can be used to enter India through any of the country's 28 recognized airports and five seaports. Anyone intending to enter India through an undesignated port of entry must get a normal visa.
Electronic visas cannot be extended and are not valid for travel to restricted locations, therefore you should keep this in mind.
3. Indian e-Visa fee for Portuguese citizens
After completing your documents, you need to add a small fee for Visa payment, including 2 main kinds of India visa fees: compulsory Government fee and adjustable service fee. For the government fee, since Portugal is not in India’s exemption list, as a Portuguese, you will need to pay that fee for entrance. For the service fee, there are 3 kinds for you to choose:
- Normal: used in most casual cases. You will receive your e-Visa within 3 business days.
- Urgent: used when you are in a hurry. With this kind of service, you will receive your result within 24 hours.
- Super urgent: used in emergencies when you need to get your Visa in hours. With this kind, you just need to wait for around 5 business hours to receive your e-Visa via mail delivery.
Payment method: to complete your application process, you need to pay a total fee. There are 2 available methods: electronic payment and wire transfer. For electronic payment, you can choose a method of payment from these: Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal.
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Cape Verde
- Cayman Island
- China- SAR Hongkong
- China- SAR Macau
- Cook Islands
- Costa Rica
- Cote d’lvoire
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor