Indian e Visa for US citizens - Requirements and Fees
India, known as the land of diverse cultures and religions, has been one of the favorite destinations for international travelers for many years. From sacred sites and spiritual encounters to sun-drenched beaches or exciting wildlife sanctuaries, it has a lot to offer for your wonderful trip to India. While making a plan to visit this fascinating country, you should carefully prepare all the necessary documents to enter the country, including a visa. Since 2014, India has launched an electronic visa system, also called Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), allowing citizens from more than 160 countries to apply for visas online. Following that, US citizens who want to visit India for tourism, business and trading, conference, or medical treatment purposes now can obtain an India electronic visa, which is faster and more effortless. Keep up reading this article to learn more about Indian e-Visa requirements for US citizens.
1. Indian e-visa for US citizens
If you are an American citizen traveling to India, you should make sure that you have your e-visa granted before booking flights or tour packages. Because the India e-Visa is obtained online, US citizens can obtain permission to enter this country from the comfort of their own homes.
There are four types of Indian e-Visa for US citizens:
- e-Tourist Visa: Americans who are contemplating a vacation to India should apply for an e-Tourist visa which permits them to stay in the nation for tourism and recreational purposes. E-tourist visa has 3 types with different validity and duration of stay in India.
For a short-term e-tourist visa, US citizens can stay in India for up to 30 days from the day of their arrival. This type cannot be extended or transformed in any way.
For long-term e-tourist visas, American visitors can choose one of two types including a 1-year and 5-year e-Tourist visas depending on your expected staying time in India. American nationals who acquire a 1-year e-tourist visa can stay in India for 365 days, while those who obtain a 5-year e-tourist visa have the duration of stay for up to 5 years from the date of ETA issuance with multiple entries to India during that period. The Indian government allows the majority of countries to stay in India for no longer than continuous 90 days for each visit. But US citizens are permitted to stay in India for up to 180 days for each entry.
- e-Business Visa: This type of e-visa allows Americans to enter India for business or trading purposes. You can stay in India for up to 365 days from the grant date of ETA and enter India as many times as you choose, but cannot continuously stay here for over 180 days during each visit.
- e-Conference visa: This type of e-visa allows Americans to enter India to attend a conference hosted by a government ministry in India. You can stay in India for up to 30 days from the date of arrival for a single entry only if you use this type of e-visa.
- e-Medical Visa & Medical Attendant: Americans who need medical treatment or go along with patients having treatments in India can apply for an e-Medical Visa & Medical Attendant online. You can stay in India for up to 60 days from the date of your arrival and enter the country three times in total with this type of e-visa.
2. India visa requirements for US citizens
The India e-Visa makes it easier for US citizens to obtain a visa to visit India. To apply for an Indian e-Visa online, American travelers must meet a few requirements.
Basically, for all types of Indian e-visa, US applicants will be required the following items:
- The scan of your United States passport, the biological page only. But keep in mind that your passport has to be valid for at least six months from the intended date of entry into India and should have at least two blank pages.
- A recent photograph of yourself in any version as long as your face and background are clear.
- A valid email address to receive entry permits for American visitors.
Besides that, depending on the kind of e-visa you apply for, there are some additional relative documents that you should prepare. As an example, if you seek an e-Medical visa as an American citizen, you have to have an invitation letter from an Indian hospital or medical center. This paperwork will be listed in detail for you via email once we receive the information about your e-visa type. So you never have to worry about that.
In addition, in the context of a pandemic, the governments of many countries prioritize foreign visitors who have health insurance to enter their country. So regardless of your vaccination situation, we highly recommend that all international travelers should buy a India travel insurance when traveling to India. US citizens can buy this insurance to protect their financial benefits in case unexpected things happen as well as make your visa application easier to approve.
3. Apply for India e-Visa from the USA
The first step, citizens of the United States can start to obtain an e-Visa for India by filling out a simple online form. You will choose what type of e-visa you want to apply for as well as some information about your entry to India before providing personal information for e-visa details.
In the second step, US citizens must input some personal information, including the following:
- The number on a passport
You must also provide information from your trip, such as:
- The arrival and departure date
Contact information, including an email address, is required. After fulfilling the Indian e-visa requirements for US citizens and completing the application form, the American applicator will be notified via email of the status of your application.
In the third step, US applicants will complete the visa application by making payments. You may use two payment methods including electronic payment or wire transfer to pay for your India e-visa charges.
In the last step, the confirmation of your e-visa application will be sent to your email address. Remember to check your email frequently to update your e-visa and the time you will be received. Finally, when your India e-visa is already in your mailbox, you should print at least one copy out to present at the specified port of entry.
4. Indian visa fees for US citizens
US citizens must pay two types of India e-Visa fees to complete the application process: government and service fees.
The government fee is required because the United States is not on the Indian e-Visa exemption list.
For the service fee, the more applicants you apply for, the better price you get. Parallelly, you can select one of the following choices to meet your travel needs and budget:
- Normal: This standardized service is the cheapest option. If applicants have adequate time to prepare their papers and wait for a response, they can apply for this visa. This type of wait time is 3 business days.
- Urgent: US citizens will receive your results within 24 hours if you use this advanced type of e-Visa.
- Super urgent: this type is utilized in high-priority circumstances that require your e-Visa in a matter of hours. If US nationals choose this sort of service, you can expect to receive your results in about 5 business hours.
You can pick between electronic payment and wire transfer as a payment option. If you select electronic payment, you should consider Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or PayPal.
Any other questions about applying for an Indian e-visa for us citizens, you can contact us by hotline at +1 917 397 7487 or email [email protected].
India Visa Requirements for USA Citizens FAQs
Since 2014, US citizens can take advantage of an eVisa to visit India for tourism, business, conference, or medical treatment purposes. US nationals can apply for an Indian visa online from anywhere with a computer connected to the Internet.
After submitting the application form online at India Immigration Services , US travelers can expect to get their Indian electronic visa in a maximum of 03 working days. In addition, US visa applicants can choose the processing time of their visa application based on their needs. However, they will need to pay a higher fee if they want to receive their visa sooner than the normal processing time. There are 03 types of visa processing time frames provided by Indian Immigration Services as below:
- Normal: This standardized service is the cheapest option with the waiting time being 03 business days. If US applicants have adequate time to prepare their papers and wait for a response, they can choose this service.
- Urgent: US citizens will receive their visa results within 24 hours if they use this advanced type of e-Visa.
- Super Urgent: This type is utilized in high-priority circumstances that US citizens require their e-Visa in a matter of hours. If US nationals choose this sort of service, they can expect to receive your results in about 05 business hours.
US citizens can take advantage of an Indian electronic visa to have a short trip to India for leisure, business, or medical reasons. Travelers from the US have to pay 02 types of visa fees in order to obtain an eVisa: the Government fee and the Service charge.
The Government fee which is paid to the Indian Immigration Department varies depending on the visa type that US citizens are applying for. Four types of Indian eVisa have different Government fees as below:
30 days e-Tourist Visa: US $50
1 year e-Tourist Visa: US $70
5 years e-Tourist Visa: US $110
Other types of e-Visa (Conference e-Visa, Medical eVisa + Medical Attendant e-Visa, Business e-Visa): US $130
The service charge is the sum US citizens must pay in advance for Indian Immigration Services which includes offering visa requesters necessary information concerning the India e-visa, assisting them in the documentation preparation, reviewing their application, and informing them of the visa outcome. This charge is determined by the number of applicants and how soon US citizens require the visa. Visitors from the US must pay a higher service fee if they choose the rush processing time.
- Normal: For only $69.00, US nationals can expect to receive their visa within 03 business days.
- Urgent: Paying additionally $79.00, US applicants will obtain their visa within 24 hours.
- Super Urgent: This service allows US citizens to receive their visa within 05 hours with a fee of an extra $99.00.
Electronic visas are granted to US citizens whose objective of traveling to India is tourism, casual visit to their relatives or friends, attending a conference held in the country, participating in business activities, or receiving medical treatment under Indian systems of medicine. For US citizens, obtaining an India visa is quite easy and entirely online. Once they prepare enough required documents, they can begin a 03 simple visa application process to get a visa for India.
Four categories of Indian eVisas permit a different duration of stay:
- e-Tourist Visa is divided into 03 categories. A 30-day e-Tourist Visa allows US citizens to remain in India for up to 30 days from their arrival date. US nationals who acquire a 1-year & 5 years e-Tourist visa can stay in the country for up to 1 year and 5 years respectively, with each visit not exceeding 180 days consecutively.
- e-Business Visa permits a 365-day stay in India, with each stay no more than 180 days continuously.
- e-Conference Visa allows US travelers to attend conferences hosted by a Government Ministry in India and remain in the country for up to 30 days.
- e-Medical & Medical Attendant Visa: If US citizens use this type of visa, they will have a 60-day stay in India.
Yes. Blessed with stunning landscapes and rich heritage, India is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Numerous travelers arrive in India to visit the pilgrimage sites and immerse themselves in its diverse culture. Since November 2021, India has lifted a 20-month ban on international travel thanks to the increasing vaccination and low coronavirus infection rates. That means US citizens are now free to have a trip to India. Before traveling to the country, a visa is an indispensable item that US nationals must not forget.
The Indian Government has issued an electronic visa which accelerates the visa application process, eliminating the need to apply for a regular visa at a diplomatic mission. To apply for an Indian visa online, US travelers need to have some required documents at hand. Some necessary documentation will be required during the application process are:
- A scan of the passport’s biographical page. The passport used to apply must be valid for at least 06 months from the intended entry date in India.
- A recent photograph of the applicant in any version with a clear face against a white/ plain background.
- A valid email address to receive Indian eVisa.
Besides that, US citizens should prepare some additional papers depending on the type of visa they are applying for.
- For a Business eVisa: A business card, an invitation letter from the host, as well as the host’s ID card/ passport (If any)
- For a Medical eVisa: A medical letter from an Indian hospital
- For a Conference eVisa: An invitation letter from the conference organizer and political clearance from the Government of India's Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
Yes. US citizens can use a tourist visa to enter India for tourism-related purposes. Since 2014, the Indian Government has launched an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) for more than 150 eligible countries to visit the country for various purposes including sightseeing, visiting relatives or friends, participating in business activities, or having medical treatment.
In addition, the Government of India also restored long-term eVisa for US nationals which are India 1 year and 5 years tourist eVisa in March 2022. The suspension on valid long-duration (10 years) regular tourist visas has also been removed and a fresh long-duration (10 years) tourist visa was granted to US citizens.
Most US travelers use 03 visa categories to enter India for leisure reasons:
- Tourist eVisa 30 days: is valid for 01 month from the issued date, allowing a 30-day stay for US travelers with double entries into the country.
- Tourist eVisa 1 year is a multiple entry visa that has a validity period of one year from the date of issuance. Holders of this visa will have one year to both explore India and pay a visit to their relatives, or friends there. However, continuous stay during each visit is limited to 180 days.
- Tourist eVisa 5 years is suitable for US citizens who visit India frequently. US travelers can enter India as many times as they wish and have a total stay of up to 5 years. Like tourist eVisa 1 year, this type of visa does not permit the total number of days spent continuously on each trip exceeding 180 days.
What do United States citizens need to do after receiving on electronic Visa for India by email (eVisa India)
Once the visa application is processed, the Indian electronic visa is sent to the applicant’s email address. That’s why Indian Immigration Services requires the applicant to supply their email address and double-check all the data provided. We do not take any responsibility for the delays in visa application processing resulting from errors of the applicants.
See more: India visa requirements for US citizens
US citizens should download the visa that was sent in PDF format and print it out before traveling to India. Upon arrival, the Immigration Officials at a border checkpoint will ask them to present their valid visas along with their passports before allowing them to enter India. During their stay in India, US travelers ought to have at least a copy of their eVisa at all times. The passport US nationals use to travel to India must be the same one used to apply for a visa. In addition, it is essential that their passport remains at least 06 months validity with a minimum of 02 blank pages so that an immigration officer can place a visa sticker on it.
Travelers from the US are also recommended to obtain Indian travel insurance prior to their trip to India. This insurance not only helps their visa application be approved easier by the Government but also covers their benefits in the event of unexpected occurrences happening during their journey.