What are the main characteristics of Indian culture?
India is an incredibly diverse country, home to over a billion people with varying languages, geographic regions, religious traditions, and social stratifications. Despite this diversity, there are some common themes and principles that contribute to the values, attitudes, beliefs, and norms of Indian culture. One of the most striking characteristics of Indian culture is the strong sense of pride in its distinctiveness and diversity. Indians take great pride in their country's agricultural expansion and technological advancements, as well as its rich artistic cultural forms of music, fine arts, literature, and spirituality.
In India, family structure is often centered around the concept of a joint family. This involves multiple generations of family members living together, including parents, wives, children, and sometimes even extended relatives. The cohesive nature of Indian society is one reason why the joint family structure is prevalent. Regarding spiritual life, India sees a large number of festivals that are celebrated throughout the year. The Muslims celebrate Eid, the Christians celebrate Christmas and Good Friday, the Sikhs have Baisakhi (harvesting of crops), and the birthdays of their Gurus and the Hindus have Diwali, Holi, and Makar Sakranti.
In terms of language, India is a country with great social, cultural, and linguistic diversity. Hindi and English are the most commonly spoken languages, with Hindi as the official language and English being the second. Additionally, the Indian constitution recognizes 22 scheduled languages.
- How to travel to India from the UK?
- How far in advance can I apply for an Indian e-visa?
- What visa do I need for India from the UK?
- Do UK citizens need visas for India?
- Can I travel to India with a UK travel document?
- What do I need to travel to India from UK?
- Can I get an emergency visa for India?
- Why do medical tourists come to India?
- What business activities are allowed under the Indian e-Business Visa?
- Is the India e-Business Visa the same as an investor visa?