Divine Heritage: Top Best Temples To Visit In India
India, a secular country with a rich diversity of cultures and traditions, has a strong presence in Hinduism. Hindu temples have a significant place in the hearts of the citizens, having been built by rulers from different dynasties, leaving behind their legacies. Hinduism has been the prominent religion in India since the Indus Valley civilization, predating other major faiths like Islam, Christianity, and Buddhism. India has witnessed several rulers and monarchies who have made their mark on history, long before the rise of any other religion in the world.
In this captivating blog, we will introduce you to the top best temples to visit in India, which have been an essential part of national and world history for hundreds of years. Come with us on this journey of enlightenment!
Top The Most Beautiful Temples In India That Will Take Your Breath Away
India is a land of diverse cultures, and temples are an integral part of its rich heritage. The country is home to some of the most beautiful and stunning temples in the world, attracting millions of tourists every year. From intricate carvings to breathtaking architecture, these temples are a testament to India's rich history and religious beliefs. Let’s take a closer look at the top 5 most beautiful temples in India that will leave you awe-inspired and take your breath away.
1. Meenakshi Amman Temple
Meenakshi Amman Temple is not only a significant temple in South India but also the most visited temple in India. Located on River Vaigai in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, the temple is dedicated to Goddess Meenakshi Amman and Sundareswar, a form of Lord Shiva and Lord Parvathi. Though the temple's exact construction date remains a mystery, it is believed to have been built before the 7th century as per ancient literature. In the 17th century, the current structure, with 14 towers and 2 golden gopuras, was built after being destroyed by invaders. The hall of thousand pillars, ceiling sculptures, unique rituals, and temple tank are among the most notable features of the temple. The temple attracts millions of devotees every year, especially during the April and May celebrations, which draw over a million visitors. If you plan to visit, the temple is conveniently located just 11 km from Madurai International Airport.
Best time to visit:
To enjoy the beauty of the place, one should visit the temple early in the morning. Avoid visiting the temple during festivals as it is very crowded. Winter is the best season to visit the temple.
Things to do:
- Visit the Golden Lotus Pond
- Walk in the long corridors inside the temple
- Visit the Temple Museum
- Explore the Thousand Pillar Hall
Beautiful colorful tower of Meenakshi Amman temple in India
2. Puri Jagannath Temple
Situated in Puri, Odisha, the Puri Jagannath Temple is a renowned Hindu pilgrimage destination that is located approximately 60 km away from Bhubaneswar. The temple, constructed in the 12th century, is said to have been built on the ruins of an ancient temple. The main deity of the temple, made of wood, is replaced periodically. With 21 shrines, the temple features six gopurams, intricate sculptures, and inlay paintings. An important element of the temple is the chariot wheel, and a large number of people visit during the car festival. Considered a heritage site, the temple is entirely constructed from granite stone and covers an area of 10 acres. The temple is a must-visit for Hindus at least once in their lifetime, and it is home to approximately 6,000 priests, making it the largest temple in the state.
Best time to visit:
The best time to visit Puri is from June to March. The city experiences its monsoon season in the month of June to September.
Things to do:
- Attend the aarti ceremonies
- Attend the evening light and sound show
- Shop for souvenirs and traditional handicrafts at the local markets surrounding the temple.
- Take a walk around the temple complex and admire the ancient architecture and intricate carvings.
Jagannath Puri Temple Chennai is a Hindu temple dedicated to the divine trinity Jagannath
3. Golden Temple, Amritsar
Nestled in the heart of Amritsar, Punjab, Harmandir Sahib, also known as Darbar Sahib or Golden Temple, is a revered gurudwara that serves as a place of worship for Sikhs. As its name suggests, the temple is adorned with gold, literally and symbolically, making it an awe-inspiring sight. Constructed by the fifth guru of Sikhs, Guru Arjan, this ancient temple houses the holy scripture Guru Granth Sahib, written by Guru Nanak. However, what sets the Golden Temple apart is its inclusive nature. People from all walks of life and faiths are welcome to pay their respects, making it a true beacon of harmony and unity.
Best time to visit:
Anytime is a good time to visit this holy place, though November to March is the best time to visit Amritsar when the weather is pleasant and suitable for sightseeing as well.
Things to do:
- Relax by the Pool of Nectar
- Take a peaceful stroll around the Temple Plaza
- Explore the Gurudwara Baba Atal Rai
- Immerse yourself in Amritsar's rich heritage with a walking tour
Beautiful view of the golden temple Shri Harmandir Sahib in Amritsar
4. Akshardham Temple, New Delhi
Behold the magnificent Swaminarayan temple, better known as Akshardham temple, which not only showcases the rich cultural and spiritual heritage but also boasts breathtaking architecture. The artistry depicting India's history, art, and culture is a sight to behold, and one must witness it with their own eyes. The temple complex, visited by hundreds of people every day, is truly grand and a must-visit destination.
Best time to visit:
One might want to visit this temple during weekdays as a heavy rush is seen during weekends.
Things to do:
- Enjoy the impressive water show
- Stroll through the charming theme garden
- Visit the Hall of Values
- Watch the IMAX film on Swaminarayan's house
The temples listed above exude a timeless grandeur that transcends religion, captivating not just the hearts of Hindus and people from diverse backgrounds. Visitors from all corners of the globe flock to India to experience the rich culture and traditions woven into the intricate tapestry of these holy sites. So when you plan your next vacation to India, carve out some time to bask in the awe-inspiring aura of these temples.
A view from Akshardham Temple at night in Delhi
5. Virupaksha Temple, Karnataka
The Group Monuments at Hampi houses the significant Virupaksha Temple, which is a revered shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva. With a rich history dating back to AD, the temple showcases an awe-inspiring scene from the epic Mahabharata. The Virupaksha Temple, built under the patronage of King Deva Raya II, is situated approximately 350 km away from Bangalore and has earned a prestigious spot on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. The temple attracts a massive crowd of devotees, especially during the month of December, while the annual chariot festival held in February is a sight to behold.
Best time to Visit:
Between June and September; the climate is highly favorable for city tours.
Things to do:
- Explore the Hampi Foot Print (Group of Monuments)
- Visit the Hemakuta Hill Temple Complex
- Admire the Stone Doors
- Marvel at the Monolithic Bull
Stunning view at Sree Virupaksha Temple in Hampi on the banks of Tungabhadra River
To sum up, these famous temples attract visitors from all over the world who come to experience India's spiritual and cultural essence. Visiting some best temples in India is not just a religious experience but also an opportunity to witness some of the most beautiful architectural wonders in the world. So, if you are planning to visit India, make sure to add these temples to your itinerary and experience the divine heritage of the country. It's important to check your eligibility beforehand to ensure that your nationality meets the Indian e-visa requirements. If you have any questions or concerns about the e-visa process, don't hesitate to reach out to India Immigration Services for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions About Temples In India
1. How many temples are there in India?
In India, there are around two million temples, with the number growing significantly each year.
2. Which cities are famous for the number of temples in India?
India is known for its rich cultural and religious heritage, and there are several cities famous for the number of temples they house. Several cities in India contain a large number of Hindu temples, but some have thousands, like Varanasi, Jaipur, Kashi, Gaya, Chennai, and many others.
3. Which temple in India is the oldest?
Though not scientifically confirmed, the Mundeshwari Devi temple is considered to be India's oldest temple. The temple has been there for generations and is located in Bihar's Kaimur region.
4. Which temple is the richest in India?
The Padmanabhaswamy temple in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, is the most valuable in the country.
5. Which God is present in the Meenakshi temple?
The famous Meenakshi temple of Tamil Nadu is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It was erected with the assistance of King Malayayadwaja Pandya of the Pandy dynasty.
6. What is the apt time to visit Badrinath temple?
Badrinath is located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, and you can get there easily if you visit the temple between May and June, or between September and October.
- Varanasi Travel Guide for Spiritual Adventure of India's Sacred City
- Things To Know Before Traveling To India: Essential Tips For A Smooth Trip
- Tips For Traveling In India Before You Visit: Adventure Awaits
- Discovering the Rich Values and Traditions of Indian Culture
- Escape The Heat: Top 5 Enchanting Waterfalls In India For A Summer Getaway
- Foreign Travelers In India: How To Get A Great Experience?
- Understanding The Cultural Significance Of Solar New Year In India
- Reasons To Visit India: A Diverse and Enchanting Destination
- Divine Heritage: Top Best Temples To Visit In India
- Check Out The Best Places To Visit In India During Summer Time
- India Visa For US Minors - The Only Guide You Need
- A Guide On G20 eConference Visa For G20 Summit In India
- Top 10 Must-Try Food In Holi Festival
- Top 5 Best Place To Celebrate Holi In India 2023
- Step into a Rainbow World of Fun and Festivity: Holi Festival 2023 in India
- Reasons for Indian e-Visa rejection
- Street Foods in India: A Delicious Adventure into the Heart of Indian Cuisine
- What Make Harvest Festivals Of India Attract Visitor?
- The Best Time To Visit India: A Guide To Planning Your Trip
- Find Out 6 Amazing Adventure Tourism In India For Your Bucket List
- The Top List of Must-Visit Tourism Pilgrimage Destinations in India
- Joining Scuba Diving In India To Explore The Stunning Underwater Universe
- Famous traditional dances of India you may want to know
- Experience Vast Subcontinent With The Gorgeous Fairs And Festivals In India
- The best tips to prepare for your vacation to India with traditional food of India
- The Famous Michelin-Starred Restaurants in India For Food-lovers
- Top 5 Best Places For Solo Travel In India That You Shouldn’t Miss Out To Visit
- Restricted Areas In India For Foreign Tourists
- Top 6 Best Honeymoon Destinations In India
- Discover The Eco-Friendly Beaches In India Winning The Blue Flag Award
- Top 5 best national parks in India for your travel in 2022
- Top gorgeous traditional clothing in India make up the Indian cultural identity
- Diwali - Light Up Your Soul With India’s Festival Of Lights
- Indian Immigration Services suggests India as an ideal destination for wellness tourism
- What You Need To Know About India E-visa Photo Requirements
Get DISCOUNT 40% for Holi - The World's Most Colorful Festival.
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- Happy Republic Day 2020
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Diwali - the festival of lights
- Five useful tips for your India trip
- Top 3 places for a wonderful trip to India
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- Check out Our Mysterious Gift in this Halloween now
- Explore new places with 20% DISCOUNT now
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- Hot deal for you to discover India's Heaven
- India applies free e-visa for Indonesians
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- 5 Tips for India first-timers (Part 1)
- Mouthwatering foods to eat in India-Part 2
- 300 Cheaper eVisa on Easter Day!
- The mouthwatering foods to eat in India-Part 1
- Great festivals in India, great Deal for e-Visa!
- Sweet Promotion for Valentine’s Day only
- Apply Visa with cheap price in 2018
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- India eVisa information
- Where to go in India
- Indian Cuisines
- Holidays in India in 2015
- Things to know before visiting India
- Overview about India
- India changes name of visa on arrival to eVisa
- India launches new visa rules to boost tourism
- Top 10 tourist attractions in India
- Weather in India